Calica
Gets its name from the initials of the company on whose land the site rests (Calizas Industriales del Carmen)
The land, owned by the modern industrial quarry, is the site of various discoveries of settlements dating back to 300 BC, notably Casa Azul (Blue House), with a fantastic mural of the Mayan cosmos, the “P” group of Xcaret and the Temple of the Columns.
About the site

The Calica complex includes fresh and salt water cenotes, the most important of which are Kaahú Hum and Yikliil Cab. The former has a pattern of low walls around the cenote forming patios; there is also a complex of residential platforms called the Cenote Group. The Yikliil Cab cenote on the other hand had no dividing or demarcating banks. This shows a form of controlling access to fresh water, the former was possibly for privileged groups, while in the latter cenote water was channeled for communal use.

The settlement pattern for this site is typified by a complex network of drystone dykes of limestone forming banks or walls which border the patios, some of which include residential platforms or structures but without buildings. There are a great many water holes and caves in this land, from simple caves to subterranean systems several miles in length. Some caves have dykes built inside them, to create living spaces. There are also caves with fresh water that had staircases built to facilitate access to the water.

This site is an example of the association between temples and caves, since the complex known as Kisim, or the Stela Group, is built over a cave. There is also an example of an east-coast style building, known as the Temple of the Columns, which has a sanctuary inside known as Casa Azul (Blue House). This has 26 layers of stucco, including a mural on the facade depicting the occupants' world view, with 35% of the pigment intact.

300 a.C. - 1550

Clásico Temprano a Posclásico Tardío
600 - 900

Clásico Tardío

Practical information
Temporarily closed,Requires reservation
Monday to Sunday from 8:00 to 17:00 hrs

Free entry


Se localiza en los predios de la empresa Calizas Industriales del Carmen, en Punta Rancho Ina, en el municipio de Cozumel.

From the city of Chetumal, take Federal Highway 307 (Chetumal-Puerto Juárez), until km 282, 8 km south of Ciudad del Carmen.

Services
  • +52 (983) 837 0796
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Directory
Delegada del Centro INAH
Adriana Velázquez Morlet
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
+52 (983) 837 2411 y 827 0796, extS. 318002 y 318003
1784
219_A_000
Archivo INAH
Sureste
En los terrenos de una moderna cantera industrial se descubrieron varios asentamientos antiguos que datan del año 300 a.C. Sobresalen la estructura Casa Azul, con un espléndido mural sobre el cosmos maya, el Grupo “P” de Xcaret y el Templo de las Columnas.
The land, owned by the modern industrial quarry, is the site of various discoveries of settlements dating back to 300 BC, notably Casa Azul (Blue House), with a fantastic mural of the Mayan cosmos, the “P” group of Xcaret and the Temple of the Columns.
Corresponde a las siglas de la empresa en cuyos terrenos se encuentra el sitio (Calizas Industriales del Carmen).
Corporate acronym of Calizas Industriales del Carmen (CALICA), the site’s owners.
Gets its name from the initials of the company on whose land the site rests (Calizas Industriales del Carmen)

LEGAL NOTICE

The contents of this website belong to the Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia de México, and may be downloaded and shared without alterations, provided that the author is acknowledged and if is not for commercial purposes.

Footer MediatecaINAH

Guardar
Lugares INAH

Idioma