Cempoala, the “place of the twenty waters,” was the first pre-Hispanic city of the Mexica empire encountered by the Spanish. It was visited by Hernán Cortés in 1519, who came to interview the “Fat Cacique,” the place’s governor and future ally. The archeological site was discovered in 1890 during the expeditions of Francisco del Paso y Troncoso, who was the director of the National Museum at the time, and a participant in the Fourth Centenary Exhibition of the Discovery of America held in Madrid. The exploratory works uncovered several mounds, including the circular building dedicated to Ehecatl inside the walled city, and a clay Chac Mool with a stucco covering. The next important development took place in the 1940s when the archeologist José García Payón worked on the site, and thirty years later a small site museum was built to display the material he found. The museum reopened after the conservation of the collections and renovation of the building in 2001.
C.P. 91667, Úrsulo Galván,
Take the Veracruz - Poza Rica highway and, where it passes under the bridge (left turn) towards the city of Cempoala de Xalapa, follow the highway to Veracruz that connects with the Veracruz - Poza Rica highway.
+52 (296) 971 4925