Located in a former federal barracks built by Abelardo L. Rodríguez in the 1920s and restored and refurbished as a museum in 2004. The exhibition comprises pieces belonging to native peoples including the Kumiai, Pai pai and Cucapá, and explains their cultures, legends and traditions. There is also a photography collection that narrates the history of the building.
The site is home to a museum of local history displaying objects belonging to the five different periods of occupation recovered in the course of archeological explorations and presented with careful interpretation. The site was an indigenous ranch and home to the Dominican Mission of Our Lady of Guadalupe of the North, a residence for Russian families and a military barracks. The excavations uncovered foundations and the remains of a small construction beside what are believed to be the original walls.
The 1886 Ensenada military barracks (later to become a jail and then a training hospital) houses the regional history museum showing: Baja Californian life, landscapes and culture from their remote origins until the military revolt of 1885. The collection includes early remains as well as memorable photographs from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
The contents of this website belong to the Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia de México, and may be downloaded and shared without alterations, provided that the author is acknowledged and if is not for commercial purposes.